Wednesday, June 27, 2012

First Time Completion: Super Bomberman (SNES)

And so here is one of the many random games of childhood I've played, but never got around to completing it. I vaguely remember renting the game from my blockbuster ages ago for a bit, and in the later years, occasionally attempt a replay, but been lazy to get past the first or second world.. There is the option of simply entering a password to play the final levels, and did duke it out with the last boss, but never did a complete run from start to finish. Out of the blue, I recently felt like giving another playthrough a go, and finally conquered another game from my youngin days.

I tend to enjoy the bomberman games in general, in spite of actually not beating most of the ones I've played. I think the only one I ever did beat beforehand was the first N64 game and one of the game boy installments... I think. Since I pretty much don't have friends to easily enjoy the battle mode gameplay, I basically focused on the single player experience.

This is a standard bomberman game for the SNES, and I find it fun even when playing alone. There's something appealing about the notion of going stage to stage, blowing up foes, and getting my little bomber guy slowly stronger. I looked forward to what kind of new enemies I would face, and get treated to a cool-looking boss at the end of each world with some kickass music to complement it. The only real frustrations were sucking at World 5 where I fought evil bomberman clones in arena, and had a had time beating any of them. Also, the last boss felt kind of obnoxious only because it required utilizing a pick-up ability that I never knew about using beforehand, and got thrown in right at the final leg of the fight.

 The game is simple, but compelling, and there's bound to be more posts of other bomberman games I'll finally tackle to completion. The SNES alone has four other super games, and there's probably a few I overlooked. Well, at least I got one down, but have many to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment